In the event of an accident, incident, or anything causing damage involving a Fleet Services vehicle, please contact the following immediately regardless of time of day:
- VT Police if on-campus;
- State Police if off-campus.
The operator must also report the incident to:
WHEN YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT
ALL VIRGINIA TECH VEHICLES OR RENTAL VEHICLES
CALL THE POLICE
DO NOT COMMENT ON WHETHER OR NOT THE ACCIDENT WAS YOUR FAULT.
Make NO statements to anyone other than the police, a supervisor/unit coordinator, Virginia Tech
Legal Counsel or Risk Management.
WHAT TO DO:
1. As the operator of a State-owned vehicle, or rented vehicle, you are required to
immediately call the State Police if the accident occurred off-campus or the Campus Police if
the accident occurred on campus. (Numbers Enclosed)
2. Obtain names, addresses, phone numbers, license numbers, insurance and policy numbers
of all persons and vehicles involved.
3. Obtain name, address, and phone number of any person who claims to be injured.
4. Note all property damage.
5. Note the number of people who were in the other cars.
6. Obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses who saw the accident.
7. Call your supervisor as soon as possible. [In the case of Fleet Services vehicles, call
Fleet Services at (540) 231-6141.]
8. Virginia Tech is self-insured for auto liability through the States Division of Risk Management,
which does not have adjusters or appraisers. If you have questions about this process,
please contact the Virginia Tech Office of Risk Management at (540) 231-7439.
9. If the other driver would like to assert a claim, please have the other driver send all
supporting documents, including details of the incident to the Department of Treasury,
Division of Risk Management, PO Box 1879, Richmond, VA 23218-1879. Call (804) 786-3152
The AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT REPORT is the form inside this envelope.
If you are driving a Fleet Services vehicle, complete and return the report to the Virginia
Tech Fleet Services (0519), Blacksburg, VA 24061.
For all other vehicle types [e.g., those vehicles owned by departments (including Physical
Plant vehicles) or a rental vehicle] the report should be completed and returned to the
Virginia Tech Office of Risk Management (0310), 300 Turner Street, Suite 3300, Blacksburg,
VA 24061. This Report can also be found on our website http://www.co.vt.edu/Risk/
IF SOMEONE IS INJURED AND MEDICAL TREATMENT IS REQUIRED, the department which
authorized the vehicle usage has the responsibility to promptly notify family or parents of the
injured parties, especially if persons are hospitalized. The following information should be given
to the parents or family member:
1. Name of injured party and that he or she was involved in the accident.
2. Name and telephone number of the facility to which the person was taken for care or
3. Should other questions exist, contact the Virginia Tech Office of Risk Management:
QUESTIONS: If you have questions, Fleet Services (540) 231-6141
Risk Management (540) 231-7439 Your Supervisor
Automobile Accident Reports and Insurance Information, located in a yellow envelope in the glove compartment, should be completed for all accidents regardless of the damages.
Effective July 1, 2014, your department and the fund used for the reservation will be charged up to $1,000.00 for the repair of the vehicle unless there is a third party insurance involved. You may also be charged a $65.00 administrative fee.
Fleet Services vehicles are only for use on state maintained roads. If there is body damage due to using the vehicle off-road, where tree branches and brush are not cleared from roadway, your department will be responsible for the full cost of the repair. The cost may also include replacing tires due to damage from off-road use. Please avoid this situation by staying on state maintained roads.
If any damage results through negligence, misuse, or abuse, the department is responsible for such damage. There will be an additional charge added to the reservation for extra cleaning of vehicle if necessary.
Should damage be discovered after a vehicle has been returned, that was not previously reported by the user, the damage will be properly documented, and then the requesting department will be contacted and afforded a reasonable opportunity to inspect the vehicle damage before the vehicle is sent for repairs.
If a federal fund is used for a reservation and that vehicle incurs damage the federal fund cannot be charged. It will be the department's responsibility to give Fleet Services another fund that is not a federal fund and then internally charge the actual travel charges by completion of a journal entry to the federal fund.
Operators of Fleet Services vehicles must:
- have a profile registered in Fleet Commander;
- have a valid US Driver's License;
- be an employee of Virginia Tech or receive specific authorization by the department head or administrative office to use the University vehicles and charge the cost to funds administered by the university;
- have read and understood the policies and procedures herein;
- observe all Motor Vehicle Laws, as it is the responsibility of each individual operator to do so; and
- Registered Student Organizations (RSO)
Per policy 8013, RSOs are separate and apart from Virginia Tech.
In theory, nonVT students may also be members of the RSO. And RSOs are defined as: a voluntary association of Virginia Tech students that has no direct relationship to the university but upon completion of registration documents is entitled to the privileges of operating, meeting, advertising, and participating in activities on the Virginia Tech campus.
The policy does not authorize offcampus travel, which is inherent in state fleet use; thus, any department acting beyond the scope of policy to permit RSOs to use state fleet vehicles is against policy and law.
In order to reserve a Fleet Services vehicle, Student Organizations should follow these steps:
1. Student organizations need to get approval from their Advisor and/or Department Head in order to submit the departmental fund code necessary to reserve Fleet Services vehicles.
2. You must also have the name of the person with signature authority for the departmental fund code. The name of the person with signature authority is required at the time of reservation. Fleet Services will finalize a reservation for a vehicle after the signature authority approves.
If your organization does not have an advisor and/or are not approved to use a departmental fund code you cannot reserve/use Fleet Services vehicles.
The Department of Student Activities cannot approve reservations for student organizations that are not advised through the Department of Student Activities.
Have signed and filed the FS-2 vehicle use statement with their department .
Departments wishing to use a non-VT driver must send the driver's name, address, phone number, and driver's license expiration date by email to email@example.com.
The department is also responsible for:
- having read Policy 4060;
- ensuring volunteers read and sign the FS-2 Form, "Proper Use of State Vehicles." This form must be retained by the user's department for the entire time the user is associated with Virginia Tech; and
- ensuring each volunteer's driving record is free of moving violations.
Cell Phone Usage
Cell phones, BlackBerry devices, smartphones, or other electrical devices must be operated via hands-free device. Any other use such as text messaging or emailing is prohibited while the vehicle is in drive and/or in motion. Use of two-way radios and related essential equipment for emergency response vehicles will be governed by agency policy.
Daily vehicle rentals will be charged a flat rate per day. All fuel used will be charged back to the reservations. Billing begins at the time the reservation is scheduled for pickup and ends when the rental is returned and the keys dropped off at the main office. Pickup requests made for before 12:00 PM will be charged a full day. If the scheduled pickup time is made for 4:00 PM or after, there is no charge for that day. Click here for rental rates.
Emergency Instructions for Breakdowns
If after hours or on the weekend, please call the Virginia Tech Police Department at 540-231-6411. Ask for Fleet Services' on-call list be contacted.
For repairs the vehicle operator must phone Fleet Services at 540-231-4955 or 540-231-6141 for authorization. Copies of all credit purchases must be presented to Fleet Services upon returning vehicle. The credit card may not be used for anything other than automotive expenses. If after 5:30 PM or on a weekend, call the Virginia Tech Police Department at 540-231-6411 and ask them to contact the Fleet Services on-call list.
If you have to leave the vehicle:
Leave the keys with the repair shop or tow service, and take the credit cards with you. Please have the EXACT location of the car, i.e., state route or highway number, mile marker, service station/tow service name, address, and name and phone number of the individual you dealt with.
All fuel must be purchased with the Fleet Services Voyager card provided. All fuel receipts are to be returned to Fleet Services with your rental keys. A $5.00 fee will be charged for every receipt not returned. If a vendor's pump fails to print a receipt, we will accept a handwritten receipt if it includes the date, number of gallons, and the cost. In the event that you had to use personal funds to buy fuel. Fleet Services will process the reimbursement after you complete our form. Please inform us if this occurs.
Information Required for Reservations
Fleet Services requires the following information for vehicle reservation:
In the section "Schedule Information,"
- select the appropriate pickup date and time, including AM and PM. Office hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 AM-5:30 PM. For pickup after 5:00 PM please arrive by 5:15 PM.
In the section "Selection Information,"
- make sure the usage type and site are pre-selected; and
- click on drop down box and select vehicle type you need.
In the section "Additional Information,"
- click drop down box and select organization name;
- enter the appropriate six-digit banner (only one fund is allowed - we do not split funds) or foundation fund number - no hyphens, letters, etc.;
- enter destination(s);
- enter additional drivers, all of whom must have a profile in Fleet Commander in the "comment" section. All drivers must be added to at least five days prior to the date of pickup. Anyone not registered will be removed from your request; and will not be allowed to drive the vehicle.
- if someone is just picking up keys for another person, they must also be registered in Fleet Commander and must be listed in comments section of request.
In the section "Comments"
- When reserving a vehicle using a federal fund the requestor is responsible to indicate in the comment section of the reservation window that payment will be made using a Federal Fund.
*Only Virginia Tech faculty, staff, students, and approved volunteers with a U.S. license and registered in Fleet Commander may operate a rental vehicle.
All university vehicles are insured under a policy which provides bodily injury liability, property damage liability, and medical payment. Any other questions related to insurance should be directed to Risk Management at 540-231-7439.
Fleet Services provides fuel and oil for all of their rental vehicles operating in the local area. Vehicles which develop mechanical problems while in the local area should be returned for replacement. In the event that it would be impractical to operate the vehicle, Fleet Services should be contacted for assistance.
Late Cancellation Processing Fee
If a reservation is not cancelled at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled pickup time, the department will be charged a Late Cancellation Processing Fee. Bus reservations cancelled late will incur a one hour charge.
No-show Processing Fee
If a vehicle is not picked up within two hours of the scheduled pickup time, the vehicle may be released for other reservations, and your department will be billed a no-show fee. Please contact us if you wish to pick up a rental later than it was scheduled.
Fleet Services vehicles may park in any legal parking space on the Virginia Tech Campus. No parking permit is required. These parking spaces, which are marked by special signs, include:
However, Fleet Services would like to reiterate that all parking meters still require payment and that drivers must have the appropriate handicap parking permit when parking in a designated handicap space.
If you have a need to park on sidewalks, fire lanes, service lanes, or loading/unloading areas, you must first obtain a permit by contacting Parking Services at 540-231-3200.
Picking Up Vehicles
Vehicles are to be picked up at and returned to designated parking space at Fleet Services. The driver must present his or her driver's license. Additional drivers must be registered in Fleet Commander and their names added to reservations prior to pick up.
The dispatcher will provide the keys to the vehicle, a fuel credit card (if necessary), vehicle location, a trip information card, and any existing damage to vehicle.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE DRIVER TO CLOSELY INSPECT THE CONDITION OF THE VEHICLE AND REPORT ANY DISCREPANCIES TO THE DISPATCHER PRIOR TO LEAVING FLEET SERVICES LOT.
Parking space is available for privately owned vehicles when renting from Fleet Services. Only one private vehicle may be parked in our lot per rental.
If you wish to pick up your rental vehicle at a later time than that scheduled, please contact our office.
Parking for private vehicles is available on a one to one ratio. Private vehicles park at owner's risk.
The university cannot assume responsibility for loss or damage to any privately owned vehicle or contents contained within that vehicle.
To permit maximum use and be assured of the time requested, vehicle requests should be made as far in advance as possible. Requests may be made up to one year in advance - approval must be received before a vehicle is assigned.
Reservation requests are to be made through Virginia Tech Fleet Services Fleet Commander website. See "Information Required for Reservations."
You will be charged from the time the reservation is scheduled for pickup. Should a scheduling problem develop and you find you will be unable to pick up the vehicle as scheduled please call Fleet Services to inform us of these changes.
When making reservations for multiple vehicles for the same date, a separate request must be made in Fleet Commander for each vehicle.
Requests that are in "pending" status over five business days after submission are subject to cancellation as "Not approved.
Responsibilities of Vehicle Drivers
The operator of the vehicle has, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Use the vehicle at the requested time or notify Fleet Services of a change.
- Operate the vehicle in a safe manner and keep it secure at all times.
- Check the vehicle for damages before departure.
- Use the vehicle for official university business only. Personal use is not allowed.
- Limit passengers to those authorized for transportation in university vehicles. No pets are allowed. An additional cleaning fee may be charged if evidence of a pet is found in a rental.
- Observe all traffic laws applying to the area in which the vehicle is being operated.
- Report defects or problems with the vehicle to Fleet Services.
- You must walk the vehicle noting any new damage each time the vehicle is parked. Notify Fleet Services of any accidents or incidents as soon as possible. Required accident reports, forms, and instructions are located in the glove compartment.
- Return the vehicle to Fleet Services as scheduled or notify as soon as possible if the scheduled return time and date are no longer feasible. The vehicle could be reserved for another customer.
- No smoking is allowed in state vehicles per Governor's directive.
- If any damage results through misuse or abuse, the department is responsible for such damage. If extra cleaning or repair of the vehicle is necessary, there will be additional charges added to the reservation.
- Flammables such as gasoline, chemicals, etc. or equipment containing such items, cannot be transported in any Fleet Services rental passenger car or van. A truck must be rented when your travel requires such items.
- Upon returning, refuel the vehicle as the Fleet Services lot. Failure to refuel will result in a $5.00Â fee added to the reservation.
Vehicles may be returned to the Fleet Services lot 24 hours a day.
When returning a vehicle, refuel it at the Fleet Services pumps retrieve the receipt, and park the vehicle in the designated space. On the trip information card record, along with any comments the current odometer reading, date, and time (AM or PM) the vehicle is returned.
Return the keys to the front office during operating hours if it is after 5:30 PM or on the weekend, please drop the keys into the night drop slot in the door across from the fuel pumps. Do not leave the vehicle at the pumps.
Make sure all the windows and doors are closed and all lights are turned off. The driver should double check the vehicle for items left behind.
Failure to refuel will result in a $5.00 fee added to the reservation.
Fleet Services is not responsible for personal items left in the vehicle. Personal items not claimed after 10 days will be considered abandoned and sent to Surplus Property for disposal.
The operator must return the vehicle to Fleet Services as scheduled. If for any reason the vehicle cannot be returned as scheduled, contact Fleet Services.
Late Return Policy
Fleet Services' policy for late returns:
The office staff will first try to switch the vehicle for the next customer.
If we are not able to use the same class, the customer will be contacted. If the customer agrees, the daily rate difference will be credited back to the fund on the reservation.
If the customer wants the same class we will contact Enterprise for a vehicle. Again, the daily rate difference will be credited back to the fund on the reservation.
If for any reason you will be returning a rental later than scheduled you must contact Fleet Services.
If you paid a toll, requests for reimbursement of toll road expenses must be made to your department in the usual manner when expense accounts are submitted.
Exception is when electronic tolls are sent to Fleet Services. The tolls will be billed and an email will be sent to the driver and/or department the vehicle is assigned to. The charges will be applied either to the Faster Management Billing Report to the Fleet Commander Billing Process.
If you receive a parking ticket and you do not pay for the parking ticket, Fleet Services will receive a notice. You will be contacted and will need to bring a personal check to Fleet Services for that fee. We will give you a copy of the citation and a copy of your check. We will mail the citation and check to the appropriate agency.
Citations- red light or work zone cameras
Generally, Fleet Services will receive notification of these citations and you will be contacted. You are personally responsible for these fees and we will require that you bring a personal check to us. We will give you a copy of the citation and a copy of your check. We will mail the citation and check to the appropriate agency.
Traffic and Parking Violations
Vehicle operators are personally responsible for all traffic and parking violations incurred while a Fleet Services vehicle is in his or her custody. The university cannot assume responsibility for violations or any fines or penalties.
Misuse of vehicle could result in denial of future use of Fleet Services vehicles for the individual and/or the entire department.
Use of Personal Vehicles
Please contact the Controller's Office for details.
Fleet Services has the following vehicles to offer:
- Small car(four seat belts)
- Large Car (five seat belts)
- Mini Van - driver + six
- Large Van driver + 11
- Cargo Van (2 seat belts)
- Pickup (3 seat belts)
- 30 Passenger Bus
If you are required to compare Fleet Services vehicle sizes to vehicle sizes of rental agencies please use the list below:
- Small car (Ford Focus)
- Large car (Impala)
Lost Fuel Card Processing Fee
There is a $25.00 fee for any credit card that is not returned to Fleet Services and has been determined lost or stolen. The fund listed on the reservation will be charged.
Voyager Credit Card Travel Tips
On the back of the card, there is a 1-800 number available to answer any questions and give immediate approval to stations. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Cards are designed to be used at the pumps; however, it is station dependent. When used at the pumps or inside the card will prompt for the current odometer reading and the four digit driver id/pin number, which is on the back of the card.
Please return all fuel receipts; there will be a $5 fee added to the reservation for EACH receipt that is not turned into Fleet Services when the vehicle is returned.
We suggest that you only purchase regular, unleaded fuel.
When traveling in rural areas, some small stations may not accept the Voyager card. In these situations, please pay for the gas yourself and keep the receipt. Upon return, Fleet Services will assist with the reimbursement form.
All major stations accept the Voyager card. Please look for the Voyager logo. Prior to leaving, visit http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/commercial_business/products_and_services/voyager_fleet_systems/overview.cfm for locations by station. Copy and paste URL. A column in an excel document will give locations by state and city with street address.
Bus Reservation Policy
Virginia Tech Fleet Services operates one bus for official university functions: The 30 passenger bus is $100.00 per hour, plus fuel cost; bus drivers are included with these charges. The bus has a one hour minimum charge per usage during weekday hours (5:00 AM-5:00 PM); there is a two hour minimum charge per usage after 5:00 PM and on the weekends. For multiple same-day usage, such as morning and afternoon shuttles, the entire time the bus is reserved is charged unless there is a minimum two hour period between trips and/or the bus returns to the Fleet Services lot when not needed. For usage after 5:00 PM, the entire reservation time is charged.
Charges begin when a bus leaves the Fleet Service lot and end when the bus returns to Fleet Services. Bus rentals are available year round. Buses are not available for overnight trips. Fees such as parking, toll booths, etc. are added to the reservation if incurred.
The bus is available for any trip that does not require an overnight stay.
Fleet Services reserves the right to cancel a bus reservation if our staff determines that weather/road conditions would make it hazardous to operate.
When reserving a bus for a student trip, we require that at least one faculty or staff member travel on the bus with students. Tobacco and alcohol use are prohibited on buses.
When planning a bus reservation, please note that buses have limited cargo transportation space. This limits riders to a single carry-on parcel.
A confirmed reservation is made after approval is received from the reservation's fund manager. Bus requests must include the passenger pickup point in "comments/notes" section as well as bus trip's itinerary (times, directions, etc.). You may email your itinerary to firstname.lastname@example.org
When submitting a request for a bus, be sure "BUS RENTAL" is entered as the Usage Type when filling out the online form. If you do not have permission to reserve buses in your Fleet Commander profile, please contact us.
If your itinerary is still being planned at the time of reservation, we ask that you provide this information at least 15 days before the scheduled reservation date.
There is a $100.00 late fee for any bus reservation cancelled with less than 24 hours notice, unless the cancellation is due to weather. Reservation requests are made on Fleet Commander for the bus. See information on Welcome page for requesting a bus.
ADA Vehicle Travel Procedures
Due to the individual needs of travelers with disabilities, Fleet Services is unable to provide modified vehicles to meet all requirements. Any student, faculty, or staff person, who due to their disability must use their own personal vehicle for business travel, can be reimbursed at the higher personal mileage reimbursement rate regardless of the number of miles traveled.
This policy applies to students only when they travel on authorized university business for which they may be reimbursed.
In order to receive the higher rate as an accommodation, the employee must register with University ADA Services in Human Resources at
300 Turner Street NW
Blacksburg, Va., 24061
Human Resources is located on the second floor.
This needs to be done only once, unless the disability is a temporary or changing condition. However, the employee must attach a copy of the approval letter to each reimbursement voucher.
Inquiries can be directed to email@example.com; 540-231-4638 (V); 540-231-7227 (TTY).